Subscribe to our FREE Newsletter, or Telegram and WhatsApp channels for the latest stories and updates.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim is admitting that his delivery can get a bit too intense sometimes, and he’s asking for a little grace.
In a video statement posted across his social media channels, PM Anwar said, “Many people have advised me that as prime minister, I should not raise my voice; I should speak calmly and politely to the people … I will try,”
The moment came following an engagement session with Central Zone civil servants at Dewan Sultan Idris Shah, Universiti Islam Selangor.
Acknowledging feedback that his passionate tone during speeches can sometimes rub people the wrong way – especially when tackling heavy issues like national duty and ethics – Anwar addressed the criticism head-on.
“I don’t know, perhaps a prime minister is expected to always be calm?” he mused.
Anwar clarified that whenever he raises his voice, it isn’t to scold civil servants, but rather because he views them as the vital engine powering the country’s national goals.
“If it is my mistake… I humbly apologise. But believe me, I am only expressing what I feel,” Anwar said, adding that he considers the civil service his primary team. “Who else can I share these concerns with if not you… my own team, the machinery that can help implement the country’s programmes?”
Not The First Time His Volume Was Turned Up
Known for his fiery Reformasi-era speeches and decades as a high-energy orator, stepping into the top office hasn’t completely dialed down Anwar’s style.
A recent instance of this was back in August 2023, during a Temu Anwar town hall at Penang Matriculation College. Anwar made headlines after sternly lecturing a student who raised a question on racial quotas in university admissions – an exchange that sparked widespread public debate over how a head of state should engage with youth.
Similarly, throughout his monthly assemblies and departmental briefings, Anwar frequently switches to a firm, urgent register when tackling issues like corruption, bureaucratic delays, or budget leakages.

While supporters view this as the hallmark of a leader who genuinely cares, critics have often felt the tone bordered on scolding.
Whether this recent social media apology marks a permanent shift toward a calmer Prime Minister remains to be seen, but for now, he is at least promising to give it a shot.
Share your thoughts with us via TRP’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Threads.
Anwar Apologizes To Civil Servants For “Raising His Voice”
Entertainment Flash Report
Comments
Post a Comment